Monday, November 11, 2013

Working the Book, Step 4, Part2

How do I know when I am ready to move on from the first three Steps to my Step Four inventory?
Is this a trick question?  I thought once you had  made the first 3 Steps, and started applying them to your life, you moved on to Step 4.
I guess, in a way, I've been taking a breather between Thee and Four.  Not intentionally, and I've still made some headway on Four, but it hasn't had that sense of urgency that the first 3 did.  I dunno. I still need to do it, but I now have a way to make peace with myself over those flaws and I'm using it as I go.
I really have no answer for this one.  When it feels right? I innately knew when to move on, but being able to vocalize how I came to that conclusion is another animal entirely.  It also seems like a staircase: you're on step 3, and done with what you needed to do there, time to move on and upward.
This answer feels like a cop out.  I would say, well, maybe that means I'm not ready to move on to Step 4, maybe I still have work on Step 3.  Except I am  tackling Step 4 through step 3, if that makes any sense. I'm using the God of my understanding to help me understand, analyze, and forgive those negative things I'm finding in myself.
This still isn't my right answer to this question.  It's a tautological answer.  It's time to move on because it's time to move on.
I would say it's when God gives you the kick in the ass to move on, but, while closer to the answer, that isn't it either.
I think it's when you NEED to move on, not when you think you're  ready, or when you want to, but when there is some desperate internal need to move on.  If that's the case, I'm not sure I'm done with Steps One through Three yet.  I want to move on, but in the same breath, I'm perfectly comfortable just dumping it all over to God and not touching it.  I haven't found that urgency or NEED yet for Step Four.

No comments:

Post a Comment